SENEX Energy has used the amplitude variation with offset (AVO)/Inversion enhanced seismic interpretation technique to success in its latest appraisal and drilling campaign on the Spitfire oilfield in PEL 104.

Located in the South Australian portion of the Cooper/Eromanga basin, the Spitfire oilfield is a combination stratigraphic/structural trap defined by sands within the Birkhead Formation.

Senex drilled four appraisal and development wells in the area of the field covered by the Mollichuta 3D seismic survey, using AVO/Inversion seismic interpretation techniques to guide its drilling.

“The program has confirmed the use of this technique for exploring and developing the Birkhead reservoir,” the company said.

“The inversion data has yielded a significant improvement in targeting the most prolific sands and extending the known range of the accumulation outside previously established areas.”

All four wells have been cased and suspended as Birkhead producers after intersecting increased sand thickness and improved reservoir quality with up to 13.8 metres of net pay.

The Spitfire-4 well is now on production at around 700 barrels of oil per day (bopd) with Spitfire-3, Spitfire-5 and Spifire-6 to be commissioned and placed on production in coming weeks.

Senex managing director Ian Davies said the results highlighted the benefit of using new technologies in seismic analysis.

“The success of recent drilling and extension of the Spitfire oil field demonstrates that applying the latest seismic interpretation techniques and solid technical process will deliver results,” he said.

“We are excited at the prospect of applying these new techniques to our broader oil portfolio to continue delivering strong results,” he said.

Senex will now reprocess part of the adjacent Aquillus 3D seismic survey using the same techniques, it said.

“This will improve understanding of the western extent of the Spitfire field to enable further exploration and appraisal wells to be identified in the west and to the north.”

Senex holds a 60 per cent operating stake in PEL 104, with Beach Energy holding the remaining 40%.