COOPER Energy has restored production to the Tangai 3 workover well in its Sukananti kerja sama operasi (KSO) – its joint operation located in South Sumatra.

Cooper told the Australian Securities Exchange that the well had produced free flow oil at rates of between 77 and 126 barrels of oil per day (bopd) since the workover for five consecutive days.

Cooper said it expected the well would be connected to the existing early production facility at Tangai 1, through a 500 metre flowline, to enable production to continue.

Well testing is continuing, with production to continue via truck transportation. Plans are also in place to add an artificial lift, which has the potential to increase production from the Tangai 3 well to between 150 and 200 bopd.

Cooper Energy managing director David Maxwell said the workover, the third Cooper has conducted after being awarded the KSO in 2010, was a pleasing outcome for the company.

“Through a relatively low risk, capital-light approach we have been able to lift production to 380 bopd through a process of analysis, gaining a fresh understanding of the fields and the application of basic operations and technology,” he said.

“We are expecting further growth in our Indonesia production through the contribution anticipated from Tangai-3, with further upside potential from opportunities we have identified for drilling” he said.

The Company recently announced production of 55,000 barrels of oil from Indonesia for the 12 months to 30 June 2014, more than double the previous corresponding figure of 25,000 barrels of oil.

A drilling campaign consisting of two firm wells (Bunian-3 and Tangai-5) is scheduled to commence later in 2014, with the possibility of a third well (Bunian-4) contingent on outcomes.

Cooper holds a 55 per cent operating stake in the KSO with Mega Adhyaksa Pratama Sukananti, an affiliate of privately-owned Indonesian company Foster Oil & Energy, holding the remaining 45%.