GAS EXPLORER AWE has found gas during the drilling of its Drover-1 well on Exploration Permit 455 in the Perth basin, the company has announced.

AWE said it was yet to determine the significance of the gas readings encountered, though it added that the data would be analysed and evaluated together with wireline logs and core samples before the company determined the next phase of its exploration activity.

The well had reached its planned total measured depth of 2,356 metres, with a 5.5 inch production casing currently being run in the well.

Once this casing is set, the well will be suspended pending the outcome of the analyses of the data obtained during coring and logging operations. The drilling rig will be released and demobilised after the casing has been set.

The well intersected all target formations of the campaign, while also taking 21.5 metres of core samples and sidewall cores from the Kockatea Shale formation as well as from deeper formations comprising the Carynginia Shale, the Irwin River Coal Measures and the High Cliff Sandstone.

The Drover-1 exploration well is located on pastoral land in the Shire of Coorow, about 18 kilometres southeast of Green Head and 220 kilometres north of Perth.

It is a vertical exploration well designed to test the unconventional gas potential in the southern area of AWE’s Perth basin acreage.

AWE is operator of the permit area with an 81.50 per cent stake, while Titan Energy holds the remaining 18.50%.